Dear Members and Friends of the Society for Disability Studies:
It is my pleasure to welcome you to our virtual home. As the leading international, professional organization for disability studies, SDS seeks to advance an understanding of disability as a cultural, social, and political phenomenon, eschewing and challenging the traditional focus on its medicalization in the Global North. To do this according to our principles, we strive for SDS to take “a critical interdisciplinary and transdisciplinary approach to scholarly inquiry in solidarity with grassroots disability movements.”
Coming from across the globe and from nearly every scholarly discipline, our members are researchers, students, activists, policy leaders, artists, and more. We hope you will explore a bit to learn about our organization and consider becoming a member!
Joseph Stramondo, PhD
President, Board of Directors
Become a Member!
SDS offers membership at individual and organizational levels, including discounted and “pay what you can” options.
Membership Benefits Include:
- Mentoring for students interested in academic and other careers that disability studies training enhances
- A members-only listserv for discussions and announcements
- Membership directory
- Professional development and networking opportunities at conferences and other events
- Registration for our national conference in a given year
- Reduced-rate registration at sibling organizations’ conferences
- Our organizational affiliation to include on your CV
SDS exists on behalf of and because of the generous support of our members and donors. By contributing to SDS, you are helping to ensure we can continue to offer subsidized memberships, ASL and CART captioning at events, and yearly awards.