Call for Nominations - 2020 Society for Disability Studies (SDS) Senior Scholar Award
The Society for Disability Studies (SDS) invites nominations for the 2020 SDS Senior Scholar Award. Please consider nominating mentors and colleagues who have shaped the field of disability studies. Past awardees include Susan Burch (2019), Joan Ablon (2018), Nirmala Erevelles (2017), Katherine Ott (2016), David Gerber (2015), Devva Kasnitz (2014), Richard K. Scotch (2013), Carol Gill (2012), Tobin Siebers (2011), Rosemarie Garland-Thomson (2010), Elizabeth Depoy and Stephen Gilson (2009), and Steve Taylor (2008). Nominations are due November 23, 2020.
The SDS Senior Scholar Award is given to an individual with a final degree in the nominee’s relevant field (PhD, EdD, MFA, DOT, DPT, etc.). There are no restrictions on a nominee’s discipline, area of study or geographic location.
Scholars should have a minimum of a decade of experience in the field. Such experience can include published scholarship, creative/artistic production, significant grants/applied research, or other equivalent activities. Films, performances, on-line publications, traditional academic books and articles are all viewed as equally acceptable and deserving of recognition.
Nominees’ scholarship should have made a significant contribution to and/or impact on the field of disability studies.
Nominees must also have demonstrated excellence in and commitment to teaching, mentoring, or other kinds of leadership.
Individuals who are not members of SDS are eligible for the Senior Scholar Award. However, Members of the SDS Board are ineligible for the award during their tenure on the board.
The SDS Senior Scholar will receive:
- An invitation to present to the Society for Disability Studies Membership.
- Recognition on SDS’s website and at an SDS conference.
- A certificate of recognition.
Complete nomination packets must be provided by November 23, 2020. The recipient of the award will be announced on or around December 30, 2020.
The following must be submitted for an individual to be considered for the award:
- A brief letter of nomination. We encourage self-nominations, as well as nominations of other individuals. If you wish to nominate someone other than yourself, please consult with that individual. We will ask that individual to confirm that they are willing to be considered.
- A minimum of two letters of support from individuals other than the nominee.
- A copy of the nominee’s full and recent CV.
Contact information for the nominee.
- Additional material may be requested (e.g. if the Awards Committee is unable to locate and/or retrieve the nominee’s materials through databases and libraries).
Application packets can be sent electronically to ALL of the following: email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org, and email@example.com with “SENIOR SCHOLAR” in the subject line. Materials sent via USPS should be sent to: Society for Disability Studies, PO Box 5570, Eureka, CA 95502, USA. Expect a confirmation email.
Past awardees include:
- Susan Burch (2019)
- Joan Ablon (2018)
- Nirmala Erevelles (2017)
- Katherine Ott (2016)
- David Gerber (2015)
- Devva Kasnitz (2014)
- Richard K. Scotch (2013)
- Carol Gill (2012)
- Tobin Siebers (2011)
- Rosemarie Garland-Thomson (2010)
- Elizabeth Depoy and Stephen Gilson (2009)
- Steve Taylor (2008)
A special thank you to all the applicants who applied (or nominated someone) for the competition. In addition, to our reviewers who contributed to the nomination process. The SDS Awards would not be possible without your generous feedback. Your support is vital to our success and future.