Call for Nominations for the Board of Directors – 2017
Dear SDS Members,
Nominations are now being accepted to serve on the Society for Disability Studies Board of Directors. Terms begin in July 2017. Members of the Board serve for three years, with the possibility of running for a second term.
Names of nominees and candidate statements are due May 10, 2017, 11pm ET.
We are so glad you have renewed your membership in our beautiful Society for Disability Studies community. It gives us all faith that our organization is important to the field, to the community, and to you. Now is the time to step into a leadership role if you feel passionately about contributing to how we will reshape and sustain SDS.
You can self-nominate or nominate anyone you feel would be a good leader.
SDS is committed to diverse representation in its membership and Board composition, and candidates from underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply. We provide any requested access accommodations so that Board members can fully participate.
Board members can expect to:
• Attend a monthly, 90-minute meeting via teleconference call or chat;
• Consider carefully and approve annual budgets and measures to ensure the sustainability of SDS;
• Serve on 1-2 Board committees or initiatives;
• Participate in Board discussions by offering expertise and opinions via e-mail and/or phone/chat;
• Consider carefully and vote on motions;
• Serve as an officer or as a committee chair.
To apply, please send:
• 500-word (max) statement addressing your
•connection/familiarity with SDS and disability studies
• specific background, experience, and contributions you would bring as a Board member, including knowledge of fundraising
• ideas about where you imagine SDS going.
Please send the information by email (Word attachments would be most helpful).
Address for submissions:
Mallory Kay Nelson, Nomination Committee, mallory [at] disstudies [dot]org
May 10, 2017, 11pm ET.
The Nomination Committee and the Board will review all submissions and present a list of candidates for election. All nominees must be members of SDS before May 10. The election will be held during May. To vote you must be an SDS member in 2017.
We thank you in advance for considering this invitation.
Do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions about being on the Board, the nominations process, or the election. We very much look forward to hearing from you.
Mallory Kay Nelson; Karen Nakamura;
Nomination Committee, Society for Disability Studies